- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized eggplant, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 small yellow summer squash, diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 oz) unseasoned tomato sauce
1. In a large skillet, heat 3 ablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until browned, juicy, and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a medium-sized saucepan.
2. Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add 2 more tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion and bell peppers. Sauté until tender crisp, 3 o 5 minutes. Transfer to the saucepan with a slotted spoon.
3. Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add the summer squash and zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until tender crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to the saucepan and add the tomatoes, garlic, and tomato sauce.
4. Simmer for 15 minutes over medium heat.
5. Taste and adjust the seasoning. You can serve immediately, but the flavor will improve if the ratatouille sits at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours. Serve at room temperature, or reheat and serve warm.