As autumn approaches gardens start to look a bit drab as plants pass their peak and our homes become a little less sunny and bright. Luckily we have a few tip to share with you to keep your home and garden looking fabulous during fall. Below are our top picks for fall plants …enjoy!
Best Outdoor Plant – Mums
Mums are a great choice to spruce up your garden during the fall. Here are some selection tips and design ideas for beautiful results.
- Cluster a group of mums together in a prime area.
- Use mums to fill in spots where annuals or veggies plants were.
- Repeat mums along a path or sidewalk.
- Choose mums with yellow or bronze flowers that complement fall foliage.
- Find mums that are just beginning to bud for optimal blooming results.
As an added bonus, mums are easy to care for. Simply plant and water them! We recommended adding 2-4 inches of mulch to protect them during the winter. For the best long term results, plant your mums in the spring in a sunny area.
Best Indoor Plant – Crotons
Crotons are fun plants for fall because of their many colors and varieties. Croton foliage is often a combination of green, yellow, orange, red, purple, and burgundy, with unique marking like veins, speckles or stripes. They are sure to brighten up any room!
Providing plants with proper care is an important step to keeping them looking their best. Here are some tips on how to care for crotons.
- Keep crotons in bright, indirect light & they will keep their color.
- Reduce water slightly during fall & winter, keep soil moist when spring & summer come.
- Fertilize crotons once a month during fall & winter, increase this to every two weeks during spring & summer months.
Add a splash of color to your home and garden this fall! Stop by and see us a Blossom Town, we have a variety of beautiful fall plants to choose from.